Cold day comfort food

This is one of those recipes I had bookmarked who knows how long ago.  Now seemed a good time to try it:  long work week and weekend for hubby, and me still getting over the cold that keeps on giving...  Good sausage, pasta, tomatoes, cream sauce; what's there not to like?  Being quite rich, this is one warming, stick to your ribs meal.  Good for winter time.  The girls ate it up even though the spice was fairly hot this time around.  It was kind of cute to watch my two year old shoveling in the bow ties, then sucking in air around her teeth to cool down her mouth, then going back for more.  I will probably cut back on the heat next time for the girls' sakes though.  I made a half recipe for us but accidently put in a full amount of red pepper flakes.  We liked it that way!  (The adults at least.)  This one is going in the keeper pile.  Here is the full recipe which is supposed to serve 5.  Yeah right!  I made a half recipe and it served 4 with my hubby going back for thirds, finishing up the girls' leftovers and still leaving a lunch sized portion for me for tomorrow.  This comes together in less than half an hour:  good weeknight meal.  You know, this actually reminded me very much of a rich cajun pasta dish we've had at a particular restaurant before, only italian style.  My notes for the recipe are in italics.



Italian Sausage with Bow Ties

1 package (16 oz) bow tie pasta
1 pound good bulk Italian sausage (Whole Foods had a fabulous mild italian sausage with no additives or anything else but the herbs)
½ cup chopped onion (I used a whole small onion for the half recipe and would use a medium for the full - I like onions)
1½ teaspoons minced garlic
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes  (Really good with ½ tsp for half recipe, but a little spicy for the kids.)
2 cans (14 ½ ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes, drained and chopped
1½ cups heavy whipping cream
½ teaspoon salt  (I used sea salt and less of it.  This is plenty salty from the sausage and tomatoes.)
¼ teaspoon dried basil (Double that)
Shredded Parmesan cheese (Didn't use or miss it.)

Fresh basil, chiffonade makes a nice fresh hit and garnish

Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook the sausage, onion and pepper flakes over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. (I didn't need to drain, the italian sausage from Whole Foods was fabulous but not too greasy.)

Stir in the tomatoes, cream, salt and basil. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 6-8 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Drain pasta; toss with sausage mixture. Garnish with cheese and fresh basil. Yield: 5 servingsAt LEAST 8 servings.
 
Don't know the original recipe owner, but it was published through Taste of Home.

Comments

  1. Yum, definitely comfort food! Hope you are feeling better. I always tell my family that the chilies fight off colds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could almost taste this as I read through the ingredients lost. What a perfect cold weather family meal. I hope you've been able to put a bad week behind you and are having a great day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I love hearing from you! If you have any questions I will do my level best to answer them for you.