The lone banana...


How often do you end up with that one last banana, too ripe to eat and not enough to make a loaf of banana bread?  For us, it tends to be more often than I'd like.  Especially when I buy a bunch with more than four bananas on it.  The girls seem to like their bananas best just seconds after they've lost the last little bit of green from the tip.  For that reason I usually try to find a bunch with just three or four.  Or those little two-fers that are sitting around from people like me breaking up bunches to get the number we want.  Then I simply have to buy bananas more often.  I really didn't like the way the bananas ended up when I put them in the freezer for later loaves of bread.  Too liquidy.  So they usually ended up in the compost.  I hate waste.  And the girls have decided they really like banana bread.  So I've been working on a recipe to use up that poor last, lonely, overripe banana.  Fortunately the girls haven't minded the ones that ended up too gummy.  Now I also had to make this egg free for R.  That's why it took so long to get it right.  I think after last night's revisions, I finally have it.  The one banana mini loaf.  I actually love using my mini loaf pans for quick breads.  Good for freezing, portion control, gifting, etc.  The ones I have that I use all the time are about 5¾ x 3 inches, depending on where you measure.  How the heck do you measure bread and pie pans anyway, from the top or the bottom?  Never have figured that one out...

The One Banana Mini Loaf (Egg free)

1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup white whole wheat flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup sugar (I use evaporated cane sugar)
2 Tbsp butter, softened
1½ Tbsp olive or sunflower oil
1 small mashed seriously overripe banana
2 Tbsp natural sour cream (to avoid the corn starch)
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract


Preheat oven to 350º.  In a bowl, cream together the sugar, butter and oil.  Blend in the banana, sour cream and vanilla until well mixed.  Mix together the dry ingredients and beat in just until moist.  Spoon batter into a mini loaf pan coated with nonstick spray.  Bake at 350º for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.  Enjoy!

I find that this works the best and gives the fluffiest loaf, when the banana in question in completely black, practically beyond recognition.  ;)

Comments

  1. That looks so good it makes me want one of my current "perfect" bananas (just a hint of green at tip) to go to overripe just so I can make one of these. Since I don't have mini loaf pans maybe I'd try my individual silicone baking cups. (Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a bunch of bananas in the freezer! waiting to be turned into something when Im up to it! your cake looks very good . i cant believe u have only 1 banana and no egg in it! I like sour cream in cake too . it makes the cake really soft. I shd try this..its healthy and a small loaf is a good idea...hmm maybe I can freeze them! with ur recipe I culd get 5 littel loafs! great! thanks!now im convinced i shd make this tonite.:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just realized I have so many exclaimation marks in my comment. What was I thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks tasty and I can tell a lot of thought went into your recipe. Your children must have loved this small loaf. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious - and we always have a banana or two that no one will eat as well. I'll have to put them to good use next time using your recipe, thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I love hearing from you! If you have any questions I will do my level best to answer them for you.