It's Mockarita time...


With the awesome help of R, I actually got the garden weeded this year!  Just finished.  Well, I still have the little end bed to do, but the main garden is done and partly planted even.  I love that she is taking some ownership of the garden this year and very excited not only to plant but to weed as well.  Because I hate weeding.  And looking at a garden completely overgrown just puts me back in the house.  So a couple sunny weekends ago, R went out one morning in her PJ's and garden gloves and attacked the weeds.  She got at least a third of the rows done.  That made it manageable enough for me to tackle as well.  The next sunny weekend we worked together and got it 3/4 of the way done.  And the past two days I have tackled the last, weediest bit that always seems worse than the rest.


So to reward myself, I decided to make a mockarita I have been eyeing for some time.  I made up some limeade concentrate of my own yesterday so it would be frozen and ready.  This is a great, refreshing drink and really is quite like a blended margarita.  I didn't rim my glass with salt, but you can always do that to make it more authentic looking.  ☺  It's not a sweet drink either, so I really enjoyed it without worrying that I was undoing all those calories I just burned in the garden!  S wanted to try and liked it at first but then decided it was mine after all.  I suspect the sweetness is definitely tailored to an adult palate looking for the margarita flavor.  I'm certainly enjoying it!  (And now that R is home from school, she is downing two servings worth from the freezer...)

Mockarita
makes 8 (4 oz.) servings

1 6 oz. can frozen limeade concentrate (I used the homemade stuff)
¾ cup orange juice
2/3 cup unsweetened grapefruit juice
25 - 30 small ice cubes
Lime slices for garnish

Rim your serving glasses with lime juice and dip in salt or sugar if desired.  Set aside.  In a blender mix together limeade and juices until smooth.  Start adding ice cubes through the top hole and blend until slushy.  (If you have a vitamix, just throw it all together and blend using the pusher to get a very smooth and thick frozen drink.)  Pour or spoon into your serving glasses (depending on how thick you made it.)  Garnish with a slice of lime.

Sit back and enjoy the sunshine!  (Because here in Seattle, it may be gone in a blink.)

Adapted from recipe.com

Comments

  1. This smoothie is a great way to reward yourself after gardening! Although I live in Greece sun has become scarce here too lately!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I love hearing from you! If you have any questions I will do my level best to answer them for you.