Strawberry Soup


Well it had to happen sooner or later.  I've had my vitamix for about a year now and I finally "painted" my kitchen.  It only takes a fraction of a second.  My kitchen was remodeled in pink.  And I lost half my batch of soup.  Boohoo!  Always keep your eye on that High switch and the lid ON.  Oh well.  The soup still turned out yummy and refreshing.  The girls liked it for dinner (it was a hot day today.)  And any leftovers, I think I will pour into the zoku and makes some strawberry yogurt pops.  I bet they'll be perfect.  Since this is a sweet soup, it is best served as an appetizer and not the main course.  (Or just use it for freezer pops if fruit soup is a little out there for you.)  My first experience with fruit soups was on a cruise ship ten years ago.  Many of our meals had fruit soups as a first course option.  I loved them!  Try it out if you're feeling adventurous.  Or just hot.  

(At the peak of strawberry season, when the fruit is its own little fruit sugar bonbon, I'd bring the sugar down to ½ cup.)

Strawberry Soup
makes nine ½ cup portions

2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled
8 oz. cranberry juice
1 cup cold water
4 ice cubes
½-2/3 cup unrefined sugar (sucanat, rapadura)
8 oz. greek yogurt, honey flavor
1 tbsp lemon juice

Optional garnishes: strawberry slices, mint leaves, whipped cream, yogurt

Set aside some extra strawberries for garnish if desired.  In a blender, combine the strawberries, juice and sugar and blend for a minute until sugar is dissolved.  (The unrefined sugar will dissolve more easily than white sugar.)  Add the cold water and ice cubes and blend until cubes are gone.  Add the yogurt and lemon juice and blend on low speed just until fully incorporated.  Can be served now or refrigerated until quite cold.  Garnish with sliced berries and mint, or a dollop of whipped cream or yogurt.

And for leftovers...


Comments

  1. I love strawberry season and when the crop comes in I'm always on the lookout for new ways to prepare them. Both of your recipes are great additions to my collection. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my, I can imagine the pink kitchen. Not a happy thought. The soup, however, looks wonderful. I especially love it as a freezer pop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I have never tried strawberry soup before, this is pretty interesting and looks so good!
    Thank you for stopping by my blog and for trying out the Cauliflower Tart! I'm glad you left a comment, that led me to your wonderful site! I'm your newest follower! I will definitely be back again! Have a lovely Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I love hearing from you! If you have any questions I will do my level best to answer them for you.