BBB - Easy Little Oatmeal Bread


It's buddy time again.  I do love oatmeal bread, really I do.  I just seem to have mixed results when I attempt it.  Oatmeal bread recipes are one of the few that have bombed for me.  This one was a toss up.  I added a bit too much liquid and then found out I under baked it, so the results were not optimal.  My fault.  However, when it is toasted up, it is like eating toast crossed with a bowl of oatmeal.  Creamy in the middle and quite tasty.  And it made a delicious grilled cheese as well.  Bonus, it's quick.  I might try it again and adhere more closely to the original recipe.  Check out the cute little loaf on the original post.  What follows is the recipe as it appears on that blog.  I loved the flavor enough to try it again.  (Makes a 9x5 inch loaf.)

Easy Little Bread
from 101 Cookbooks

 1 ¼ cups / 300 ml warm water (105-115F)
2 teaspoons active dry yeast (one packet) (I used Instant Yeast and added it to the flour)
1 tablespoon runny honey
1 cup / 4.5 oz / 125 g unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup / 5 oz / 140 g whole wheat flour (I used whole spelt)
1 cup / 3.5 oz / 100 g rolled oats (not instant oats) (I had a mix of mostly thick oats with some barley and rye thrown in)
1½ teaspoons fine grain sea salt
2 tablespoons butter, melted, for brushing (I added half of this to the dough itself)
 
In a medium bowl, sprinkle the yeast onto the warm water and stir until the yeast dissolves. Stir in the honey and set aside for a few minutes, until the yeast blooms and swells a bit - 5 - 10 minutes.
In the meantime, mix the flours, oats, and salt in a large bowl. Add the wet mixture to the dry and stir very well.
Brush a 8-cup loaf pan generously with some of the melted butter. Turn the dough into the tin, cover with a clean, slightly damp cloth, and set in a warm place for 30 minutes, to rise.
Preheat the oven to 350F / 180C, with a rack in the middle. When ready, bake the bread for 35-40 minutes, until golden and pulling away from the sides of the pan. I finish things up by leaving the bread under the broiler for just a heartbeat - to give the top a bit deeper color. Remove from oven, and turn the bread out of the pan quickly. Let it cool on a rack so it doesn't steam in the pan. Serve warm, slathered with butter.
Makes 1 loaf.

Comments

  1. Oatmeal, so good for us but in my experience oatmeal has proven to be one perplexing ingredient for bread bakers. I have a really favorite oatmeal bread all time terrific loaf, it never fails me. I have a friend who is a terrific bread baker ... she can't bake my favorite oatmeal bread with any success. She's tried repeatedly, it just won't rise for her. We've even done it side by side, it just won't rise for her. Go figure that one.
    Nothing is a failure if you can find ways to enjoy. I love that this is so fast, so healthy and good flavor; it's going to be baked for Thanksgiving stuffing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious and perfect! great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear! But how brilliant are you to have rescued it?

    Many thanks for baking with us!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I love hearing from you! If you have any questions I will do my level best to answer them for you.