Caramel Apple Dip


Caramel dip.  It has been a journey to find one that works the way we want and still be the flavor and texture R wants.  I tried a marzetti's knock-off that I thought turned out great but it got thumbs sideways/down.  "I like your real caramels mommy."  I have never seen a store bought caramel dip that was not made with high fructose or corn syrup.  Usually when we want a dip for apple slices, I just give R a tiny dish of honey, which she loves.  I have seen many nice looking caramel dips but they all were too runny for my taste.  That's fine for home use, but right now I want something that is (corn free!) not runny, drippy, or too messy for the school harvest party.  I have a wonderful toffee granola bar recipe that uses sweetened condensed milk for the caramel layer.  It quickly gets thick when cooked, so that function takes care of the runny, drippy.  The rest of the standard caramel dip equation applies: butter, brown sugar.  And instead of corn syrup, use golden syrup and honey.  R already likes the honey part!  I'm sure it would work with all honey and no syrup at all too.  All the adults loved it just slightly warm, which makes it flow a little more:


But it is still less drippy than the others I've seen and at room temperature, is scoopable and not runny at all.  Like taking big spoonfuls of soft caramel.  But cool or warm, it is still now my number one dip.  ☺


(The honey flavor is just noticeable in this dip, so if you don't like honey, either use a very mild honey, less honey, or all golden syrup.) 

Caramel Apple Dip
makes about 2½ cups

½ cup butter (add pinch of salt if using unsalted butter)
1 cup light brown muscovado sugar, lightly packed
¼ cup golden syrup
¼ cup honey
1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk

In a heavy saucepan, melt together the butter, sugar, syrup and honey over medium heat.  Stir in milk and continue to cook and stir until mixture bubbles.  Stir constantly, otherwise the milk will form little bits of darkened caramel.  Let it bubble lightly for a minute and remove from heat.  If you do see little brown flecks, you can put the mixture through a fine sieve and it will be fine.  Or you can just ignore, they don't change the flavor.  Serve at room temperature or slightly warmed.

For a creamy variation, mix 1 cup dip and 8 oz softened cream cheese.  Delicious!

Comments

  1. Es una delicia me gustaría probar luce muy lindo,abrazos y abrazos

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I love hearing from you! If you have any questions I will do my level best to answer them for you.