Sourdough Blueberry Muffins - Quickbread Style


I already had a recipe for blueberry muffins that the family loved.  But I just came into possession of a new sourdough starter with roots going back to the gold rush.  And it is already doing wonderful!  I really wanted to keep it happy since it perked up so quickly after I received it.  It hadn't been fed for two months and still was doing amazingly great.  So I have been on a mission to use it and keep it happy.  We did a batch of our favorite chocolate waffles, added a bit to a loaf of granary bread to get the consistency perfect, and then I decided to try a muffin recipe.  Now while my kids love sourdough, I don't really prefer noticeable sour flavor in certain baked goods.  Since this recipe only made a few muffins, I thought it was a perfect trial.  I was very pleased with it, even before baking them.  I used tall muffin cups and got 6 huge muffins.  For standard baking cups or an unlined tin, I would suggest making 8 muffins.  There is no sour flavor since the sourdough just acts as the acidic activator for the leavening.  It's just like a quick bread.  They have great texture and an awesome crust.  Sublime with butter spread inside but delicious plain as well.


Sourdough Blueberry Muffins
makes 6-8 muffins

1 cup sourdough starter (fed somewhat recently)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
¼ cup melted butter
1 cup light spelt flour
½ tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
½ cup sugar
½ cup blueberries

Preheat oven to 400ºF.  Combine the sourdough starter, egg, vanilla and butter until fully mixed.  In a separate bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients, then toss in the blueberries.  Mix the dry ingredients with blueberries quickly and carefully into the wet mixture, taking care not to over mix.  Scoop batter into lined muffin cups.  Bake for 20-22 minutes until golden brown and done.

Eat them warm, eat them cool, add butter or not.  Just enjoy!  And keep your starter happy!


Comments