Apples with a twist


I'm not sure whether it's a good or bad thing that you can pop one of these tasty little dainties right in your mouth.  It's like a potato chip, can you stop at just one?  Originally called an apple twist, the dough reminds me somewhat of easy style kringle dough.  So I guess it's kind of an apple twingle...  Whatever you call it, they are a beautiful marriage of apple pie and danish in a deviously small package.  One or two bites, depending on how you cut them.  For safety's sake, I made a third of a batch.  The full recipe makes 64 of the sinful little buggers and I don't need that kind of temptation in my house.  Although they will freeze well I understand.  This is another recipe that requires an overnight rest, so plan ahead.  All told, not too difficult to put these together and I'll definitely make them again.  I think next time, I may even pump up the apple a notch by brushing a bit of boiled cider either on the dough before the sugar sprinkle, or adding a touch to the icing.  Make sure to use nice tart, flavorful apples for the best apple pastry experience.  The girls have decided these are definitely worth eating.  Repeatedly.  Hmmm, may need to find a higher shelf...

Apple Twingles   (Austrian Apple Twists)

1 pkg (¼ oz) active dry yeast
2 c all purpose flour
1 c white whole wheat flour
1 c butter, softened
3 egg yolks, beaten
1 c (8 oz) sour cream
½ c sugar
½ c finely chopped pecans
¾ tsp cinnamon
1 medium tart apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped

Icing:
1 c powdered sugar
4 tsp milk
¼ tsp vanilla
pinch of cinnamon (optional)

Finely chopped pecans (optional)

In a medium bowl, combine yeast and flour.  Add butter and mix well - fingers work well here.  Add egg yolks and sour cream, mix well.  Shape into four balls.  Wrap individually in plastic and refrigerate overnight.  In a small bowl, combine sugar, pecans and cinnamon and set aside.  On a floured surface, roll each ball of dough into a 9 inch circle.  Sprinkle with sugar mix and apple bits.  Cut each circle into 12-16 wedges.  (Actually, you may find it easier to cut the dough before you sprinkle on the toppings.)  Roll up from wide edge and place point side down on greased or parchment lined baking sheets.  Bake at 350º for 16-20 minutes or until lightly browned.  Immediately remove to wire racks to cool.  Combine icing ingredients in a small bowl until smooth.  Drizzle over the twists and sprinkle with pecans if desired.

This has been yeastspotted!

Well I happened to come up with something fitting the BBD theme and didn't even realize it!  Ha!  So here is the link for the challenge:  BBD#30: Breads with a Twist!

Adapted from Kathy Bless

Comments

  1. My husband would be all over these apple twingles! Do I save his diet and ignore the recipe or save the recipe and ignore the consequences? Ah, the eternal conundrum.

    BTW, my daughter babysits. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look really great. I'm going to give them a try soon as I just love fruited breads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you stopped by my blog today. Your rolls look wonderful and I love the name you've given them. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly this would be so perfect for BreadBakingDay #30!!!

    Love the idea of the cider brushing! And the name is totally awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tip! Hadn't even noticed the theme for this month. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious! Thanks so much for doing the twist with us this month at Bread Baking Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH,my that looks so good! I will have to try it out!
    I will be visiting more frequently to check on your new blog post. I am your new follower so come by and visit my site when you can at http://showmemama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooo, it's a good thing!! It's a good thing!! These look wonderful. Bookmarked. (I bet they'd be good made with apricots too)

    -Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Show Me Mama - ooo, lots of fun crafties on your site! I'll be looking for things to do with my daughter soon.

    @ Elizabeth - I bet you're absolutely right about the apricots. (I have made a similar pastry in the past with apricots that had more of a pie crust type dough.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Indeed they look yummie and very addictive. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I love hearing from you! If you have any questions I will do my level best to answer them for you.