Texas Fudge


Fudge, real chocolate fudge, seems to be one of those confections that delights in defying me.  I think I rebatched my fudge at least four or five times last year.  It was happily eaten but I was never really satisfied with it.  So this year, in the interest of my sanity, I spent an entire day digging through old magazines for that one fantasy type fudge recipe that always turned out great results (Christmas 1999 to tell you how long I've kept this one).  And, BONUS, I found an old favorite appetizer recipe in the same issue that I had completely forgotten about.  I'll share that one later.  Normally, I like my fudge without nuts, but this one I have always added the pecans.  It goes well, but you certainly don't have to use the nuts.  If you want to avoid the corn syrup in commercial marshmallow fluff, you can whip up a half batch in about half an hour or less.  That will give a little less than two jars worth and make for some darn fine corn free fudge.  ☺

Texas Fudge
makes 36 pieces

1 can (5 oz.) evaporated milk (not sweetened condensed)
2½ cups sugar
½ cup butter
¼ tsp salt (use ~1/8 tsp if using salted butter)
1 pkg (12 oz.) semisweet chocolate chips
¾ cup finely chopped pecans
1 tsp vanilla
½ tsp bourbon

Line a 9" square pan with foil and butter it lightly.

Combine the evaporated milk, sugar, butter and salt in a heavy bottomed saucepan.  Bring to boiling over medium heat, stirring to combine.  Cook at a rolling boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.  (If you have a candy thermometer, we are aiming for 234-235ºF or soft ball stage.)

Add marshmallow cream and chocolate to butter mixture and blend until smooth.  Stir in pecans, vanilla and bourbon.  Pour into prepared pan and cool to room temperature.  You can score the fudge with a sharp knife now if you want.  Refrigerate until firm.

Lift the fudge and foil from the pan and peel foil from sides.  Cut through score lines or let warm up for a few minutes and cut into small pieces.  Store in refrigerator for long term.

Adapted from Holiday Cakes & Cookies by Family Circle 1999/2000

I understand you can do a white chocolate variation of this simply by subbing white chocolate in, but I think it would be tooth achingly sweet.  I would probably either try cutting back the sugar, or do a marbleized swirl version instead.

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I love hearing from you! If you have any questions I will do my level best to answer them for you.