Lucille Schuyler’s Sticky Buns


Loved by generations of school kids, Lucille Schuyler's sticky buns were the stuff of legends.  Even the principal used to sneak one or two (possibly more) in the mornings when they were on the menu.  They were veritable cafeteria currency.  You could get a lot with a sticky bun, food as well as other cool contraband and fad items of the day.  Nobody was sick on sticky bun day.  If they were, they were pitied.  Mrs. Schuyler was one of those lunch ladies that feed everyone like they were family.  I can't really think of a single school lunch I didn't like.  Well, that pile of canned spinach wasn't the greatest.  But the entrees were good and comforting.  She made the best hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes.  And I fondly remember the school PB sandwiches.  I can't remember what they were served with, but I've looked up what could have been in them.  Peanut butter, butter and powdered sugar.  No wonder they were good.  I had have a serious sweet tooth.  And truth be told, you need one for these buns.  These are not sticky cinnamon rolls, or pecan rolls.  They are simply buttery, sugary sticky buns.  Honey and butter and brown sugar caramel stickiness.  R loved them and had two.  Probably spoiled her dinner...   They may be too sweet for S.  Lucky girl.  But for me, they serve as a reminder and memorial of a special lady.  I wish my kids could have enjoyed hot school lunches of that quality.  I'll do my best to fill in though.  ☺

Lucille Schuyler’s Sticky Buns
As published in Heavenly Recipes Cookbook by Immanuel Lutheran Church Women
Makes 3 pans of 9 buns

5 to 6 c. unsifted flour (I used part all purpose and part light spelt)
½ c. sugar
1¼ tsp. salt
¾ c. warm milk
2 pkg. yeast
½ c. warm water
½ c. margarine (I used butter.  She'd understand.)
3 eggs

¾ c. margarine (butter)
¾ c. honey
1 ½ c. brown sugar (light brown muscovado)

Melt ¾ c margarine butter.  Add honey and beat thoroughly.  Stir in brown sugar.  Divide mixture among three 9 inch square pans, or the equivalent.

Mix 2 cups flour, sugar, salt, warm milk, yeast dissolved in ½ c. warm water, margarine, and eggs.  Beat 4 minutes at medium speed with mixer.  Remove and stir in enough of the rest of flour to make a soft dough.  Place in a greased bowl, turn to grease top.  Cover; let rise until double, about 45 minutes.  Punch down and turn out onto a lightly floured board.  Divide into 3 pieces.  Roll out to about 9x5 inches.  (I did about a 20x10 rectangle for a half batch.)  Spread each piece with about 2 tbsp margarine butter.  Sprinkle with a nice coating of granulated sugar.  Roll up into a long roll; cut into 9 pieces.  Arrange on prepared pans, let rise about 30 minutes or till double.  Bake at 375º for 20 to 25 minutes.  Cool in pan 5 minutes then pour out on a plate.


Be sure to invert them while the syrup is still warm.  Otherwise you will have to gently heat the bottom of the pan over a burner to soften the syrup and get them to release.


Thanks Mrs. Schuyler.  These are in memory of you.

Comments

  1. Thank you Kelly for taking us down "your" memory lane.
    Mrs Schuyler would have been proud of you and the beautiful sticky buns you made.
    Wow!
    PS: I have a serious sweet tooth, too. Any remedy ;-) ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a relative finding this was a blast, I'm so happy I can have this digitally!
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm SO happy you found it! Lucille sure left a wonderful legacy of memories for so many kids!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I love hearing from you! If you have any questions I will do my level best to answer them for you.