Grandma's Zucchini Bread

Mmmmmm.  I love zucchini bread.  I'm snacking on a piece slathered in butter as I type.  The girls like it plain.  This recipe was my great grandmother's and I've seen popular versions that only differ by ¼ cup and ½ tsp here or there.  So I'm sure it's one of those old original goodies that gets passed down.  This zucchini bread has converted many people who said they didn't like zucchini.  I have tried other different recipes, even one with chocolate chunks in it.  Meh.  This is my recipe for the generations.  Now, that being said, I have done some very minor changes on occasion to "healthify" it just a little wee bit.  (A tad less oil, less sugar, part whole grains.)  I am including the original, which is totally awesome, along with the changes I made this time I baked it up.  This slightly more healthful version is what we are all chowing down on right now and what is pictured.  It is still moist, flavorful, sweet and delicious.  Good with butter or without.  Good toasted too, though that's my mom's preference for aging quick bread.  I like it soft.  You don't have to use nuts though they really add a lot.  I used walnuts this time though generally speaking, my nut of preference is pecan.  You can make this however you want, see how it compares to your favorite.  The whole grain emmer flour I used was a new thing for me, from a local company and mill.  I am very pleased with the results.  I think Grandma would approve, she was a phenomenal woman who lived to be 101.  And somewhere, either my mom or me has the original recipe card written in my grandma's fine cursive.  I can picture it, so it might be in my house...  Good memories every time I bake it.

Great Grandma's Zucchini Bread
makes 2 loaves

3 eggs
1 cup oil (I used ¼ cup melted coconut oil, ½ cup sunflower oil and ¼ cup applesauce)
½ cup brown sugar (muscovado)
1½ cups white sugar (¾ cup evaporated cane sugar and ½ cup coconut sugar)
2 cups grated zucchini (one medium garden zucchini, little more than 2 cups)
3 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour (used up the last of the spelt ~½ cup, 1 cup ap flour, 1½ cups emmer flour)
1 tsp salt (celtic sea salt)
1 tsp soda
3 tsp cinnamon (love Penzey's cinnamon blend!)
½ tsp baking powder (listed on Grandma's card as B.P )
1 cup nuts, chopped (walnuts this time, pecans are great too)

Grease and flour two 8x4" loaf pans.  Preheat oven to 350ºF.  Beat eggs until very light and foamy, about 2-3 minutes with a hand mixer.  Add oil, vanilla and sugars, mix until combined.  Sift together flour, salt, soda, cinnamon and baking powder in a bowl.  Add to egg mixture and beat on low speed until well combined.  Stir in nuts and zucchini.
Divide batter equally into the prepared pans.  Bake for about 45 minutes or until bread is golden brown and feels firm on top.  A cake tester inserted in the center will come out clean.  (If the bread is not perfectly moist, reduce bake time by 5 minutes next time.  Everyone has a feel for their own oven.)  Cool in pan for 10-15 minutes.  Run a sharp knife around edges to loosen if necessary and turn out.  Finish cooling on a wire rack.  Serve sliced and slathered with butter or plain, as desired.

Enjoy!


Comments