Sourdough brownies


I decided to give these a try because I had neglected my starter, yet again, and needed to refresh it.  Wow, I am really impressed.  Almost akin to a flourless chocolate cake, these are dark, rich and yes, melt in your mouth chocolatey brownies.  I first saw the recipe on Wild Yeast; I do love her recipes.  I tweaked just a little bit and of course my starter was old and hoochy.  They might have more tooth to them with properly fed starter.  These are not as sweet as most brownies, but super rich and satisfying.  I'll see after school if they appeal to kids or just adults.   

Oh yes, they definitely appealed to my 2nd grader. ☺  "Mom, will you send one of those brownies in my lunch today?  And bring one after school for my snack..."

Sourdough Brownies
make one 9x13" pan (Adapted from Wild Yeast)

300g 72% cocoa bittersweet chocolate (I used a 90g bar of 65% chocolate and 210g semisweet chocolate chips)
226g unsalted butter (1 cup)  (I used salted butter so I cut the salt to ½ tsp)
200g sugar
1 tsp salt (less if using salted butter)
2 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp honey (optional)
3 eggs, room temp
30g dark cocoa powder
10g malted milk powder
pinch of cinnamon
220g mature sourdough starter 100% hydration (I used unfed starter with hooch, straight from the fridge)
a couple extra handfuls of chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 325ºF.  Prepare a 9x13" baking dish by buttering, lining bottom with parchment and buttering the parchment.  In a saucepan, over low heat, melt the butter and chocolate together, stirring constantly.  It shouldn't heat up too much to the touch, just enough to melt and come together.  Stir in the sugar, salt and vanilla and cook and stir over low medium heat for about two minutes, just until the sugar starts to dissolve a bit.  (That will give the shiny top.)  Stir in the honey if using.  Add eggs, one at a time, combining well after each addition.  In a bowl, stir together the cocoa powder, malted milk powder and cinnamon.  Sift over chocolate mixture, stirring in as you go.  The mix should change viscosity now and really come together.  Gently stir in the sourdough starter until completely combined.  Stir in some extra chocolate chips if desired.  Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean from near the middle.  Cool for about 20-30 minutes before removing from pan - it should firm up quite a bit.  Carefully lift the whole slab out with the overhanging edges of the parchment paper.  Finish cooling completely on a wire rack.  For clean edges, wait to cut until completely cool!  Cut these into small squares, they are very rich and densely chocolatey.
Break out a glass of milk and enjoy!

Comments

  1. Wish I had some little high calorie burnies so I could try these. They look marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great brownies! I have been thinking to give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These looks wonderful! I'm now thinking about making brownies for dessert tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my lord, I can't believe how delicious they look.
    Greetings from Chile

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look wonderful. I’d like to make them, but I couldn’t find a way to print from my iPad. Am I missing something? Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not familiar with apple products, but I assume you should have a print option in your browser file menu. Or you can copy the text and paste it into a word file and print from there.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I love hearing from you! If you have any questions I will do my level best to answer them for you.