Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken


This recipe has been pinned to my "likes" board on the time suck that is Pinterest for a couple weeks now.  I happened to have a couple spare chicken breasts so I decided to try it out.  It's a winner.  Not only in the fact that R raved over it, but also that it was good enough for hubby to decide to take the small amount of leftovers to work.  And it's like pulling teeth to get him to take leftovers.  Sorry about the picture, there was no holding the hungry horde at bay.  And that in itself says that it was a good meal.  I adapted it to be soy and corn free, so I'll post the original recipe with my changes in parentheses.  R misses Chinese food often and feels left out when hubby gets it for himself or to share with little sis.  Everyone definitely said I could make this again.  The original post also has a good looking fried rice, though we used steamed.  (I made a half batch to serve our family of four.)  I'm sure this would be great with bell peppers added in during baking, but since I was out I just steamed and lemon peppered some broccoli.  It's one of the girls' favorite dinner veggies.

Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken
serves 6-8

3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
salt and pepper (sea salt and fresh ground pepper)
1 cup cornstarch (arrowroot starch)
2 eggs, beaten
¼ cup canola oil (refined coconut oil)

Sauce:
¾ cup sugar
4 tbsp ketchup
½ cup vinegar (apple cider vinegar)
1 tbsp soy sauce (coconut aminos + fine grain sea salt)
1 tsp garlic salt (garlic powder + salt)

Preheat oven to 325ºF and grease a 9x13" pan.  Whisk together sauce ingredients and set aside.  Rinse and dry chicken and cube into bite sized portions.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Dredge the chicken well in the starch and place in a gallon ziploc bag.  Pour the beaten egg over top, seal bag and shake well.  Heat the oil in a large skillet and brown chicken but do not cook completely.  Place the chicken in the baking dish and pour the sauce evenly over top.  Bake for one hour, turning chicken every 15 minutes.  Enjoy!

I fried my chicken almost done and baked for 20 minutes, turning a couple times.  Cut the preparation time in about half.  For a full recipe you may need to fry in batches; my half batch filled up my nice big skillet, but they were huge chicken breasts too.  I also added a few dashes of tabasco to the sauce but next time I think I'd just add a few crushed red pepper flakes for a tiny bit more heat. 

In any case it was good stuff.

Adapted from life as a Lofthouse

Comments

  1. This sounds delicious. I love a great sweet and sour!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I love hearing from you! If you have any questions I will do my level best to answer them for you.