Banana Bread


I tried a banana bread recipe I saw in a cookbook I have recently.  It  made a double batch and called for six bananas I think.  When the loaves came out, they tasted okay but lacked flavor and moistness as well as being flat and missing that lovely golden color of a good quick bread.  I was quite disappointed as I had expected much better results.  I decided to go back to my favorite recipe, modified just slightly to hold the two very overripe bananas I had sitting around.  When it comes to banana bread I take a purist approach.  Simply banana.  I don't mind nuts in a nice moist banana bread but tend to leave them out of my own.  My girls love this bread plain while hubby and I like ours slathered in fresh butter.  Well, I like it either way.  Yum!


Simple Banana Bread
makes one loaf

¼ cup butter, softened
2 tbsp sunflower oil
¼ cup sour cream
2 overripe bananas, mashed
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup evaporated cane sugar
1 egg
1 cup all purpose flour (or 1¼ cups light spelt)
½ cup white whole wheat or whole spelt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp sea salt

Lightly butter an 8x4" loaf pan and preheat oven to 350º.  In a bowl, cream together the sugar, butter and oil.  Blend in the banana, sour cream, egg and vanilla until well mixed.  Mix together the dry ingredients and beat in just until fully combined.  Scrape batter into prepared loaf pan.  Bake at 350º for 35-45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.  If the crust is perfectly brown but the center still needs time, turn down the temp to 300º and give it another 5-10 minutes.  Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.  Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Delicious with the sour cream and love that you use spelt flour here :))
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I love hearing from you! If you have any questions I will do my level best to answer them for you.