When I hear the words "brown bread", I immediately remember the taste of the good old B&M bread in a can. As a child I particularly preferred the plain version over the one with raisins, but we only had them on very rare occasions. We would open up both ends, remove one lid, and use the other to slowly push out just enough to slice off and toast. Then we'd slather them with butter and enjoy, piping hot. Such a treat. So that was definitely my pick for our brown bread challenge. It did take a couple different recipe tries but the second recipe was exactly the batter I was expecting and spot on for flavor! I did take it out of the steamer a little early and it collapsed just slightly because the crumb hadn't fully set. Next bake, I will go the full 3-hour time to ensure the crumb is both gelled and firmly set. So although it was a little more dense than it might have been, it still takes me right down memory lane. I just toasted it really well.
|The stuff I grew up eating.|
Now, truth be told, this really is a quick bread recipe. Some folks (that don't like it) have called it a cake masquerading as bread. This is totally not cake. It might remind one of a nice, dark bran muffin texture and flavor. Regardless, it's a family tradition I am happy to bring back. Note that this recipe may be doubled and baked in five 16oz canned good cans that have been cleaned and paper removed.
- Anadama Bread from Passion Kneaded
- Boston Brown Bread from Pastry Chef Online
- Brown Sandwich Bread from Anybody Can Bake
- Copy-Cat Cheesecake Factory Brown Bread from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Copy-Cat Outback Steakhouse Bread from Making Miracles
- Golden Braid of Bern from What Smells So Good
- Irish Brown Bread from Palatable Pastime
- Molasses Rye Slider Buns from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- No Knead Sprouted Wheat and Flax Seed Sandwich Bread from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Sourdough Molasses and Honey Brown Bread from Zesty South Indian Kitchen
- Traditional Steamed Brown Bread from A Messy Kitchen
- Whole Wheat Rolls from Magical Ingredients
- Whole Wheat Sourdough Sandwich Bread from Ambrosia
- Wholemeal Soda Bread from Food Lust People Love
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a
month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all
our lovely bread by following our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated after each event on the #BreadBakers home page. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
*affiliate links in post