Filled Wool Roll Bread #BBB

 

If you haven't tried a tangzhong method bread, this is a great recipe to try it out and a fun shape as well!  Our host has chosen a uniquely shaped loaf for us this month. This wool bread has been making the rounds as an impressive looking loaf meant to look similar to a roll of wool.  It is usually made with a milk bread or soft and fluffy tangzhong bread.  I chose a relatively simple recipe for mine and it did indeed turn out a supremely soft and fluffy loaf!

The dough was a milk bread tangzhong recipe from allrecipes.  I reduced the sugar by a tbsp and if using a sweet filling, it could probably be omitted altogether though the 2 tbsp did yield a very nice and lightly sweet crumb.  I decided on an almond filling because I love almond pastries.  I whipped up a quick batch of homemade almond paste and ended up with a bit more filling than I needed.  Too much almond filling may ooze a bit, but is so tasty!  I used more almond paste than called for and would stick to the recipe next time, though hubby thoroughly approved of the final results for the bread and filling.  So soft and fluffy!  I think this is the fluffiest milk bread I have ever made, and am definitely keeping the recipe.  It turned out a very soft and pleasant dough.


This bread is versatile since you can make it sweet or savory, filled or plain.  It's just a wonderfully soft and tasty loaf, any way you make it.  We would love for you to try this fun shaping method with us this month!  New recipes are posted every month on the 16th. Check out our Facebook group to see the participants' baking results during that time.
 
Wool Roll Bread
makes 1 large loaf
 
For the Tangzhong:

    ½ cup water
    ¼ cup all-purpose flour

For the Dough:

    ½ cup whole milk, warmed (I used 2%)
    2 tsp active dry yeast (I used scant 2 tsp instant yeast)
    2 tbsp white sugar
    ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
    1 large egg, beaten
    2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
    2 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
    (I also added a spoonful of unfed sourdough starter)
    desired filling, or leave the bread plain
    2 tbsp whole milk (I used 2%)
 
(I used an almond filling):
½ cup (125 g) almond paste (or make your own: In a food processor finely grind 8 oz (225 g) blanched almonds. Process in 8 oz (225 g) powdered sugar. Then knead in 1 egg white. Store in the refrigerator.
¼ cup (60 g) packed brown sugar (I used 30 g light brown and 30 g dark brown sugar)
¼ cup (55 g) softened butter 
 
 
To make the tangzhong, (water roux), whisk together the water and flour in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until a gummy paste is formed. The mixture should reach at least 150ºF (65ºC). Remove from heat and let cool completely.

While the roux cools, pour ½ cup warm milk and yeast into the bowl of a stand mixer and let bloom for 10 minutes.

Add the cooled roux, sugar, salt, beaten egg, flour, and butter to the yeast mixture. Using a stand mixer with a dough hook, knead on low speed until a smooth, elastic, slightly sticky dough forms, about 10 minutes.

Cover dough and let rise until doubled in size, 60 to 90 minutes.
 
For the almond filling I used, mix together the almond paste, brown sugar, and softened butter until smooth.  Cover and set aside until needed.

Transfer the dough to a work surface and press into a round disk. Divide dough into 5 equal portions. Form each piece into a ball, cover and let rest for 15 minutes.

Butter a 10-inch springform pan, or 10-inch round cake pan.  Set aside.

Take one ball of dough and roll out on a lightly floured surface into an oblong shape, about 4-5 inches wide by 9 inches long. Using a sharp knife or a bench scraper, make lots of lengthwise cuts, about 1/8 inch apart, starting 1/3 of the way from one of the ends, slicing all the way through the dough to the opposite end, forming many equal-sized strands of dough. (Sharp knife worked much better for me.)  When done, two-thirds of the dough will be sliced, and one-third will not be.  (I would do half sliced and half whole, to allow for better spread of filling in my case.  There is still plenty of string coverage when rolling up.)
 
Perhaps a bit over generous with the filling...
 
Roll the unsliced part of the dough to flatten to 1/8-inch thickness. Place desired filling in the center of the unsliced dough, and roll it up, keeping the sides tucked and even, until the filling is covered and you've reached the beginning of the cuts.  Then carefully roll up to form a "wool roll," being sure to not crush the sliced edges of the dough strands.  Finish with the seam on the bottom. Transfer to the prepared pan, and place on the bottom, just barely touching the edge of the pan. Repeat four more times, placing the rolls around the inside of the pan to form a ring.
 

Cover with plastic wrap and let dough rise until doubled in size, 45 to 60 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350ºF (175ºC).

Brush the bread's surface lightly with remaining milk.

Bake in the center of the preheated oven until golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and allow to cool completely on a wire rack before serving.
 

The rest of the Bread Baking Babes

 


Comments

  1. Spectacular! Flawless! Magnificant! Awesome!
    I'm still trying to get my post to work...
    This is truly breath taking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still so amazed by your multiple filling genius!

      Delete
  2. Wow, your oven spring is amazing. It completely closed up! Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wasn't expecting it to have that much oven spring! It doubled for the rise and then about tripled again in the oven. So fluffy!

      Delete
  3. What a gorgeous loaf! Look at that oven spring and that almond filling sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a stunningly beautiful loaf! That is so cool that you ended up with no hole in the center - especially when there was such a large hole directly after shaping. Applause! Applause!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's one gorgeous loaf. Ooh, I love almond filled pastries too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almond horns were the first pastry I ever made. Anything with frangipane makes me happy.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful loaf! And I love the almond filling! I could use a slice right now ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am finding out how well it will freeze right now. Should be just fine!

      Delete
  7. Wow! That oven spring is awesome...it really looks like a ball of yarn! Impressive making your own almond filling, too. Lovely spiral of filling...doesn't look like too much at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, it's just easier. Almond paste is expensive and I don't ever keep it on hand, but I do always have almond flour, powdered sugar, and eggs. Just takes a minute to whip up just enough for a pastry.

      Delete
  8. I just cannot leave your website prior to suggesting that I extremely loved the usual info you provide to your visitors. Is gonna be back often in order to see and cross-check other new posts. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I love hearing from you! If you have any questions I will do my level best to answer them for you.