Blueberry Crumble Sticks (Twists) #BreadBakers


Our host kitchen has chosen bread sticks as our theme!  Even though there is a lot of flexibility allowed as far as soft or crunchy, and sweet or savory, I seem to be pushing the definitions now that they are baked!  My puff dough was almost too puffy!  More than I expected.  I do love it though.  (Probably with store bought pastry they would have been a bit more subdued and stick like.)  If I am being honest, these delights turned out more like a Danish, but the intent was a sweet bread stick or twist.  That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.  (You can always roll the dough longer and thinner to get more twists that would be more compact.)

Blueberry Crumble Twists
makes 10

1 recipe puff dough or 1 pkg purchased puff pastry
4 oz cream cheese + ½ c blueberries or 4 oz Blueberry Cream Cheese Spread
½ cup blueberry pie filling (homemade or store bought is fine)

1/3
cup sugar
¼ cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp butter, softened
   
2 Tbsp butter, melted

Optional toppings: honey, powdered sugar, extra filling, simple glaze

To make the filling, combine the cream cheese and blueberries in a bowl and set aside.  (You can add 1 tbsp sugar if desired.)

For the topping, rub the softened butter into the sugar, flour, and cinnamon until crumbs form.  Set aside for later.

Follow the directions for making the puff dough up to the first 15 minute freeze.  Take out the dough and divide in half.  

Preheat oven to 375ºF.

Lots of layers, but easy puff.

Roll out one half to about a 20x14-in rectangle.  Place it on a parchment lined sheet.  Have another parchment lined rimmed baking sheet ready. 

 


Spread a thin layer of cream cheese filling on the pastry.  Follow with a thin layer of blueberry pie filling.  Don't make it too thick or it will be very messy when twisting.



Roll out the second piece of dough to cover the filling.


Using a sharp knife or pizza wheel, slice the pastry into strips about 1 inch wide.  Transfer 5 strips to the rimmed baking sheet and twist to form a spiral.  Seal the ends together.

(At this point, the spirals may be frozen and saved to bake another day.  They will keep up to a month in the freezer in a sealed container.  Thaw in refrigerator before baking.)


 Brush the spirals with the melted butter and sprinkle the crumb topping over them.


 Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and crispy.  Cool for a few minutes before serving.  Twists may be topped with a drizzle of honey, powdered sugar, a simple glaze, or a bit of leftover filling for a little bit of sweetness.  Enjoy slightly warm.

If you don't seal the ends together...

 Take a look at all the bread sticks from our bakers!


We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.

BreadBakers

Comments

  1. Stick, twists, whatever you want to call these, they are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your puff pastry is so darn well made!!! That's never a problem, although I can just see your face when you pulled these from the oven, lol!!! I can just imagine my first bite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, and I still cannot make full puff for the life of me. And may never need to!

      Delete
  3. I love what you did here. They sure puffed a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of the puffiest batches I have done. Remembering to roll it up before freezing is key! Layers, layers.

      Delete
  4. Well Kelly, whatever you choose to call them I would call them delicious. I think that setting these out for a breakfast or brunch would make everyone smile. I wouldn't expect one single complaint.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the sweet twists! Amazing idea and there is a whole lot of options to try with this idea. This is irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this easy puff recipe and have indeed used it for a number of things. It could easily be savory too since it is rich but not really sweet. Or tweaked just a tiny bit to take out the sugar and replace the bit of orange juice with milk or something else. Parmesan twists... yum.

      Delete
  6. Wish I could taste these flaky and color sticks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I love hearing from you! If you have any questions I will do my level best to answer them for you.