Crispy Rice Cereal Brittle


This Sunday, we were invited to share rice based recipes, with great flexibility on the form of the rice.  I have been eyeing this recipe to try for a while and decided to give it a go!  It took a couple tries to get it where I thought it should be, but I was pleased with the outcome.  We don't have brittle very often, and this recipe uses a bit more butter than typical brittle, for a more tender snap that is easier on the teeth.  I prefer a softer toffee-like texture anyway.


The first time I made this as written, and there was definitely not enough cereal compared to how the original looked and for my taste.  I bumped it up by 50% and also decided to offset some of the strong caramel sweetness of the golden syrup with the bitterness of cocoa by using coco flavored crisped rice cereal.  I think combining this with nuts would also be good!

Crispy Rice Cereal Brittle
Adapted From My Modern Cookery

1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup golden syrup 160g (or light corn syrup) (golden syrup will result in stronger sweet, caramel notes)
¼ cup water
¾ tsp sea salt
8 tbsp butter, cut into 1-inch pieces (if using European butter, use only 7 tbsp)
2-3 cups crispy rice cereal (or cocoa flavored crispy rice cereal)
1 tsp baking soda

Line a rimmed baking sheet with a sheet of parchment paper.
    
Combine the sugar, golden syrup, water, and salt in a 4-quart saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
    
Place a candy thermometer in the pan and add the butter.  Bring the mixture back to a boil, then cook until the mixture reaches 300ºF.  (The last 10-15º will go quickly, as the water will have all evaporated - do not walk away!)
    
Remove from the heat and immediately stir in the rice cereal and then the baking soda, working quickly to combine them thoroughly.  You have about 30 seconds from the moment you stir in the baking soda to pour and spread the mixture onto the parchment paper. Do not scrape the pan too aggressively at the end, or it will deflate the mixture.
    
Pour/scrape the mixture out onto the parchment covered sheet, spreading it quickly into a ~¼-inch thick layer.  

Allow to cool completely.  Break into large pieces with your hands.  Store in an airtight container.

With only 2 cups, more of the typical pooled brittle result.

 
Nice and buttery, caramely sweet.

Actually easier to spread without deflating with
the 3 cups of cereal than with 2 cups.

After cooling for a few minutes, the 
brittle will settle into the cereal
 

I wanted the higher cereal to brittle ratio.

Check out the rest of our rice based cooking:

 

Comments

  1. This is the perfect brittle for folks who can't eat nuts! The three cups would be my choice too. More crunch and a little less sweetness per bite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That brittle looks outstanding. I love the idea of using the cocoa flavored cereal! This would definitely disappear here. Great adaptations of the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of a cereal brittle instead of a nut brittle. You can add nuts as you suggested and have the best of both worlds.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I love hearing from you! If you have any questions I will do my level best to answer them for you.