R - Migliaccio - Lemon Ricotta Semolina Cake

 

R is for ricotta.  A year or so ago, I saw this cake on YouTube, and saved the recipe to try out.  I modified the method a little to avoid a lumpy batter and this is how it turned out!  Kind of a souffle-like pudding, it’s richer and denser than a regular cake but lighter and creamier than a traditional cheesecake.  Not especially sweet, just a delicate flavor and creamy texture. 

Migliaccio is typically made with fine semolina, though polenta and corn meal are recognized substitutes, and millet meal has also been used.  My King Arthur semolina listed itself as "coarse" grind, but I found it quite fine compared to corn meal and more fine than the semolina you typically see strewn out for the bottoms of pizza crusts and breads.  The fine texture semolina is preferred for the desired smooth and custardy texture in the finished cake, whereas coarser grinds may end with with a more grainy finish. 


The flavor is very simple and I think the fresh lemon garnish would add a nice pop of flavor; hubby would like to add a drizzle of any berry sauce on top.  I think a drizzle of lemon curd or barely sweetened sour cream would be wonderful.  When I looked up other recipes, I saw that cinnamon is also a traditional inclusion in this cake, though it wasn't used in this recipe.  I think I like this cake warm!
 
(I have taken to heating slices up and squirting lemon juice on top, then a dusting of powdered sugar.  Yum.) 

Migliaccio (Italian Ricotta and Semolina Cake)
serves 8-10

3½ tbsp (50g) butter
1 Qt milk (I used 2%)
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
the peel of 1 lemon, only the yellow part, avoid the bitter pith
rounded ⅛ tsp sea salt
1¼ cup (230g) semolina (fine)
1 tbsp potato starch (optional)
6 eggs
1½ c (310g) sugar
1c (250g) whole milk ricotta, cold* (I only used 220g because that was the listed package measurement for my brand for 1 cup)

Powdered sugar and lemon slices or candied citrus peel for garnish


Preheat the oven to 340ºF.  

Whisk together the semolina and potato starch and set aside.

Bring the butter, milk, lemon peel, salt and vanilla to a simmer in a 2-3 qt pot.  Don't turn your back on it, or it will boil over when you get distracted and then your proportions will be off.  Simmer for a minute or two and then turn off the heat.  Let the mixture cool for 5-10 minutes.  Strain out the peel.

While the mixture is cooling, whisk the eggs and sugar together until light and creamy and increased in volume.  Use a stand or hand mixer to save time.

Once the milk has cooled slightly, gradually whisk in the semolina mixture until fully blended.  Cook and stir over medium low heat for 2-3 minutes until the mixture thickens and becomes paste-like, similar to polenta or a tangzhong.

Remove from the heat and let the mixture cool slightly.

Stir in the ricotta by spoonfuls into the semolina.  This will loosen the mixture and reduce the temperature further.

Gradually whisk the semolina mixture by large spoonfuls into the egg mixture, beating until fully combined and smooth.

Butter the sides of a springform pan and line the bottom with parchment.  Pour in the batter. 

Bake at 350ºF for about 1 hour until the cake is set but still a bit jiggly in the center.  (Mine took 65 minutes in my slow oven.)  Rotate halfway through for even baking.

Let the cake slowly cool to room temperature before removing the springform sides. 

This cake can be enjoyed warm like a pudding, and at room temperature as well as chilled.  Texture will firm up after chilling.  Immediately before serving, top with powdered sugar and garnish with a lemon slice or candied lemon peels and enjoy!

Store covered in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.  Freezing is not recommended, though it is possible to double wrap and freeze individual slices in a freezer bag.  The texture will change and it will not be as creamy as fresh.

* If your ricotta is quite watery, it may need to be drained in cheesecloth for 10 minutes before using.  If it's fairly thick, it should be fine as is.

A "y" peeler works really well here.  I would guess
you could zest the lemon and leave the peel in, too.

This is the consistency after mixing in the ricotta.

Kind of like a loose pancake batter/cake batter.

Look at those gorgeous edges!  It will settle on cooling.

I like the simple, custard-like flavor.  
Anything would go with this!

As part of the 2026 Alphabet Challenge, organized by A Day in the Life on the Farm, we are sharing recipes that begin with R or include ingredients or methods that begin with R:

Comments