Cardamom and Orange Sourdough Muffins


My poor sourdough had a good layer of hooch on it yesterday.  I made some waffles, fed it, and it still doubled by the afternoon!  I so dearly love that starter.  Today I decided to use it again and give it another feed before chilling again.  These muffins were the delicious result.  Everyone liked them and I am usually the lone muffin person.  I will make them again for sure, I love cardamom anyway. 


Cardamom and Orange Sourdough Muffins
makes 8 muffins

1 cup (130g) flour
6 tbsp sugar (can reduce to 4 tbsp if desired)
⅜ tsp baking soda
1 tbsp arrowroot starch
1 tsp ground cardamom
¼ tsp sea salt

¼ cup butter, melted
¼ cup sourdough starter (fed or unfed)
¼ cup applesauce
1 tbsp fresh orange zest (grated with a microplane or very finely minced)
½ tsp vanilla
¼ cup milk
1 tbsp Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
1 tbsp orange juice
1 egg

Preheat oven to 350ºF and grease a muffin tin.  (You can use paper liners if desired.)
In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, starch, cardamom, and salt.  Whisk together and set aside.  In a medium bowl combine the butter, starter, applesauce, zest, vanilla, milk, yogurt, orange juice, and egg and mix until blended.  Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and fold together just until combined.  (Over mixing will result in tough muffins.)
Use a spoon or muffin scoop to portion the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes until lightly golden on top.  (Muffins are done when the center is ~200ºF or a toothpick comes out clean.)
Cool the pan for a minute on a wire rack, then remove the muffins to finish cooling.

 (They really are quite delicious warm, with butter!)

 

 Here are some more muffins for your Monday:


 

Comments

  1. How could anyone resist those lovely muffins?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fact that my non muffin eating family is happily eating them for breakfasts lets me know it's a big time winner!

      Delete
  2. My sourdough starter is equally as forgiving, even when I don't deserve it because of abject neglect. Cardamom and orange is such a great combo, Kelly. Bet the house smelled wonderful as they baked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep saying I need to dehydrate or freeze some of it just in case. Don't know how I could ever replace such a great starter. And yup, these smell absolutely wonderful!

      Delete
  3. What an awesome performing starter! These muffin, with the cardamom and orange, sound (and look) amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Welcome to Muffin Monday!!! I'm so excited that you joined us this month!

      Delete
  4. Oooh, pinning these for once I get my starter going! I brought a powdered one back from Alaska and I've been too chicken to give it a try so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope it works great for you! Mine supposedly has roots to the gold rush and came from a community member. I know there is a powdered starter branded Goldrush and I wonder if that is where they got theirs. I just make sure to feed mine well before I use it and make sure it is really perky and happy before I put it back to sleep in the fridge. If it's out, it needs daily feeding or more depending on temp. The more you use it, the happier it gets! The sourdough waffles are my absolute favorite way to use it, though these muffins are challenging that...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I love hearing from you! If you have any questions I will do my level best to answer them for you.