Ozark Pudding

What in the world is Ozark pudding?  Well, it seems to vary a bit from a pudding cake consistency to a lighter, coffee cake or moist apple cake consistency.  But the apple cinnamon flavor is a total winner for me, and this will be a great fall dessert (or breakfast), when apple season hits!  I went with the lighter and fluffier version, which appeals to me right now.  The cake really reminded me of sticky toffee pudding prior to saucing.  Lovely, moist cake, nice fruit flavor from the apples, and the crunch of the nuts on top all come together beautifully.  Now that I think of it, this would be stellar with sticky toffee sauce...  Oh my.  But for now, it is ice cream on top.  (O is for Om nom nom, happy alphabet bake!)

Small bit of trivia: Ozark pudding is supposed to have been a favorite of President Harry Truman and his wife, Bess, made it for him often.  (Her version sounds like it would have been the stickier, pudding cake variety, also delicious.)

It comes together quickly and is perfect served warm, a nice little dessert for an informal gathering of family or friends.  And it smells divine while baking!

Ozark Pudding
makes 9 servings

4 tbsp butter, softened (½ a stick)
1 cup light brown muscovado sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1½ cups peeled and chopped apples (I used 2 medium sized apples, Gala and Ambrosia.)
1 cup chopped pecans
(whipped cream or ice cream to serve, optional)

Cream butter, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla in a mixing bowl.  Mix in the salt, cinnamon, and baking powder.  Add flour and mix until all ingredients are wet.  Fold in chopped apples with a large spoon or rubber spatula.  

Butter an 8-inch square cake pan or a 9-inch deep dish pie plate.  Pour in the batter and spread evenly, then sprinkle chopped nuts on top. 



 Bake in a preheated 350ºF oven for 30 to 35 minutes, testing center to see if done.  Serve with ice cream or whipped cream on top while warm from the oven.


Check out the rest of our letter O creations!


 


Comments

  1. I would love a piece of this with my coffee this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O is for OH my gosh, I wish I was eating a piece of this right now! Pinning for apple season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ozark reminds me of the TV series :) This Ozark Pudding is a must try. Love anything with cooked apples in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the name, especially after my addiction to the TV series! That uncooked batter makes me want to dip a spoon in it. Dessert for breakfast is just fine in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my goodness, your pudding really is chock-a-block full of apples! Thanks for the little history lesson along with the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! Simply amazing! I am loving this recipe, so yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I love hearing from you! If you have any questions I will do my level best to answer them for you.