Rabrabrakake: Norwegian Rhubarb Cake

I got a rhubarb plant this year!  But I can't harvest from it until next year if I want to help it really establish itself, so I am still relegated to buying rhubarb at the store or farmer's market.  (I am thinking of walking over to the neighbor's house and begging to dig up the one in their lawn along the sidewalk - it never gets used, I don't think they even know what it is.)  This simple and delicious cake, I think of it as a breakfast cake, is so easy to throw together, and so tasty for anyone who loves rhubarb.


The cake turns out nicely tender and not overly sweet, more on the muffin level of sweetness; and adding in that tart bite from the rhubarb really makes the sweetness mild.  It is delicious plain, with whipped cream, or for an especial and sweeter treat, with vanilla ice cream on top.

Norwegian Rhubarb Cake (Rabrabrakake)

    150g butter (~10½ tbsp)
    150g sugar (¾ cup)
    2 eggs
    200g flour (1½ cups)
    1½ tsp baking powder
    ½ cup (118 ml) whole milk
    250 g (2 cups) fresh rhubarb, cut into ½ inch pieces
    2 tbsp sugar
    1 tsp cinnamon

    sliced almonds (optional garnish)

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch round cake tin or spring-form pan.

Beat the sugar and butter together until creamy. Add the eggs and mix until incorporated. Add the flour, baking powder and whole milk and blend together. Toss the cut rhubarb in a couple tbsp flour, shake off the excess, and fold into the batter.  Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin.

Mix the 2 tbsp sugar with the cinnamon and sprinkle evenly over the top.  Arrange 2 tbsp of sliced almonds about the top if desired, for garnish.


Bake for 30-40 minutes. Let cool slightly before removing from the cake tin.


Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream. 

Next year... next year.

Be sure to check out some more letter R recipes:

 

Comments

  1. One of my favorite desserts to make with my bounty from my rhubarb plant. Your neighbor might appreciate your using their rhubarb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait until I have enough for a pie next year!

      Delete
  2. I still haven't got round to using rhubarb as yet. This rhubarb cake is probably the right place to start. Looks so good. A lovely warm dessert with fall round the corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so lovely warm, and yes I do indeed usually warm it up first, plain or with topping. Rhubarb has a nice, tangy flavor.

      Delete
  3. You could always bribe your neighbor with some of this cake! It's beautiful and the rhubarb didn't change color when baked! Rabrabrakake, say that three times fast! (I couldn't help myself).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rhubarb is such a great ingredient! It's too bad it's not something that is available throughout the entire year...because I know that I would bake a lot more with it if it was! - Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck - Colleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have a local farm that produces it and you can get it frozen in local grocery stores, but my new plants stalks are such a gorgeous, deep red color! I can't wait to use them. (Seems like sometimes the store bought can be rather green.)

      Delete
  5. Beautiful cake! I make savory dishes with rhubarb, yet to try it in cakes and this cake is a perfect one to start with. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, now I need to look up savory recipes! I had never even thought of using outside of desserts.

      Delete
  6. I have never seen rhubarb here, wish I could get hold of some to try these delicious recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really difficult to describe the flavor too, sour like a zingy lemon, but with an extra something maybe like a sorrel? (We used to pick and eat the lovely, sour wood sorrel out of the back pasture.) They are both high in oxalic acid. But rhubarb tastes like rhubarb and from what I've heard from other people, you either love it or hate it. I have always loved it, probably since I grew up with it. Mom's rhubarb pies were the best!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I love hearing from you! If you have any questions I will do my level best to answer them for you.